System Design Engineer
Our client who are a leading MOS dupplier are looking for a new Systems Design Engineer for their Command and Control Subsystems division. The international Command and Control (C2) function provides world class air-defence C2 sub-systems for our client's ground and naval weapon systems to meet the current and future protection against air attack for UK armed forces and export customers on land or at sea.Systems such as Sea Viper on the Royal Navy's Type 45 destroyers and Sea Ceptor on T23 frigates rely on C2 systems designed by the team.
What are we looking for?
Typically we would expect candidates to have an engineering or science degree or equivalent and have some relevant experience. Previous experience in the aerospace or the defence sector would be useful, but is not essential: generally a background in systems engineering, product development, software development, or similar discipline would be suitable. Experience of working successfully as part of, or leading, a small team under programme and cost pressures would be an advantage. Hands-on experience of SysML, Rhapsody and DOORS tools would be desirable, but training will be provided where needed.
What's in it for you?
• You would be working on flagship programmes that represent very significant investments by our customers, and the culmination of research investment, to create real capability to be used to defend our armed forces and those of our government's approved export customers.
• The role provides the opportunity to develop the experience and skills for further career progression.There are excellent training opportunities in a broad range of relevant subjects, achieved through formal training courses and on-the-job training.
• There is the opportunity to work directly with colleagues from France, Italy, Germany and other countries.
• You would be joining an expanding company that has been ranked by the Sunday Times as the one of the top 25 best big companies to work for in 2019 and which has achieved the Investors in People (IIP) Gold Award.
What would you get?
Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), superb learning and development opportunities and more….
• Be part of the team architecting the C2 and defining its functional behaviour leading to the specification of the software and hardware requirements for the C2 sub-system.
• Help to determine how the C2 sub-system will be tested, working with other functional areas to design tests and defining criteria for acceptance.
• Supporting the preparation of sub-system safety cases and design certification for operational use of the C2 sub-system by the customer.
• Investigations into a full range of problems or developments, developing innovative approaches and using the latest tools to support the work.
What's great about the team?
• You will be joining a project team responsible for the development of key subsystems within new weapon systems that will meet the future capability needs of the UK Armed Forces. The work undertaken by you and the team will contribute to real equipment in use for many years to come.
• Challenges will arise frequently that will demand generation of new technical solutions and agreeing the way forward to maintain the project pace.
• Have ready access to in-house experts to supplement knowledge and operate in a matrix organisation providing access to, and joint working possibilities with, colleagues in France, Italy and Germany.
Please Note: Our Client requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual's ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
If you are interested in this role, click 'apply now' to send us an up-to-date copy of your CV.
BJD Group acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers. By applying for this position I understand that my details will be processed in accordance with BJD Group's Data Retention Policy which can be accessed at bjdgroup.co.uk